Official Athletics Home of Southeastern Community College Blackhawks
News Photo
Baseball - Thu, May 4, 2017

Southeastern manages to win one game behind strong pitching and timely hitting, but lose series.

West Burlington, IA – In their last home conference matchup of the year, the Blackhawks played host to the Bears of Des Moines Area Community College. DMACC entered the weekend with a 23-22 overall record and 11-9 in ICCAC conference play.

Game one starter for DMACC, silenced the Blackhawk bats as he surrendered one hit and three runs over seven complete innings, to earn the victory Friday afternoon. Austin Martin got the Blackhawks on the board in the 5th inning with a RBI groundout.

That run, cut the deficit to 5-1 going into the top of the 6th inning. Blackhawk starter, Otis Roby, hit a batter with two outs and no one on base. That runner eventually came around to score after a couple of tough, two out hits by the Bears offense.

The Blackhawks scratched across two runs late in the 7th inning. The lone hit, was a RBI single by Marco Melgoza. Austin Martin added an RBI groundout, which was his second of the game. The late fight offensively for the Blackhawks was not enough as the comeback fell short and lost 6-3.

In game two, the Blackhawks found themselves having to fight back from an early 6-0 deficit heading into the bottom of the 4th inning. Southeastern starter, Tanner Foster, pitched into trouble in the 4th inning and found himself facing one of the Bears top hitters with two men on base. A three run homerun, gave the Bears that 6-0 edge.

The Blackhawk offense ignited as they themselves responded in the bottom of the 4th inning with two runs of their own.

Foster was able to match zeroes through the 5th and 6th inning, but ultimately ended up giving up an additional run late in the 7th to give the Bears a 7-2 lead.

The offense would strike again in the bottom of the 7th and 8th innings as they plated one run respectively in each inning, but failed to get much else going. Braeden Brown led the way with 2 hits.

Southeastern would finish with a loss in game two by the final score of 7-4.

After a three day hiatus, due to inclement weather, the Blackhawks returned to their home field at Dick Wagner Complex seeking a split of the series. Game three starter, Andrew Stout, gave the Blackhawks a strong pitching performance in which he allowed zeros runs over six innings.

The two through five hitters supplied much of the offense in game three as they collected seven of their nine hits. In the 3rd inning, Jason Matthews worked a one out walk and with two outs, Braeden Brown, Zeb Adreon, and Luis Vargas notched RBI hits to give Southeastern a 3-0 lead.

Oswaldo Calderon chipped in with an RBI single of his own in the 5th inning to expand the lead to 4-0.

The Bears managed to push across a run late in the 7th inning. The Blackhawks would not be denied as they closed the book on game three and won 4-1 behind strong pitching and timely hitting.

Game four was a different story as the bats and arms for Southeastern went cold. Starting pitcher, Pedro Garcia, surrendered an unearned run in the second inning and found himself in trouble late in the 5th inning. Reliever, Sam Noel, was called into duty with 2 outs in the 5th inning. Noel, gave up a three run homerun which extended the Bears lead to 4-0.

The bats were baffled by the Bears game four starter as they managed three hits off of him through seven innings.

The offense looked like it was ready to take off in the 8th inning as Jason Matthews worked a walk and leadoff hitter, Chase Wood, recorded a single through the right side of the infield. Braeden Brown stepped in with runners on first and second and no outs. Brown, unfortunately lined out to shortstop and it turned into a double play as Matthews was caught off of second base.

The Blackhawks dropped the final game in the series 7-0.

Southeastern travels this weekend to Cedar Rapids as they prepare for their final conference series of the year against Kirkwood Community College.