Official Athletics Home of Southeastern Community College Blackhawks
News Photo
Baseball - Mon, Mar. 6, 2017

The Blackhawks went 1-3 on their trip to Millington. 

Game 1: The Blackhawks took on Rend Lake at Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee for the first game of the weekend.

The Blackhawks struck first in the top of the second inning when Marco Melgoza scored Chase Wood from first base with a two out RBI triple.

In the top of the third inning Blackhawks starter Andrew Stout gave up two runs on three hits giving the Warriors a 2-1 lead. The 2-1 lead held through six innings of play as both starters traded zero's back and forth. Stout finished having pitching 6 IP with 6 strikeouts allowing 2 runs to score.

Jacob Curry came in the top of the seventh inning. In that inning, the warriors pushed their lead to 5-1. After retiring the first hitter, Curry allowed four consecutive runners to reach base, ending with a double that scored two. A wild pitch brought the third baserunner of the inning in.

The Blackhawk offense answered in the bottom of the eight inning. Austin Martin led the inning off with a single, followed by Zeb Adreon who hit the first homerun of his career, bringing the Blackhawks to within two runs. Three of the next four baserunners reached for the Blackhawks but Frank Guerrero grounded into an inning ending double play to end the threat.

The Blackhawk offense was held to three runs on eight hits in the first game of the weekend. Despite a strong effort, Andrew Stout was the losing pitcher for the Blackhawks.

Game 2: In the second game of the day, the Blackhawks took on the Parkland Cobras.

The Blackhawks were the visiting team for this contest. After a scoreless first inning for both teams, the Blackhawks struck first. Walks to three of the first four batters of the inning and RBI's from Chase Wood, Dariel Torres and Braeden Brown gave the Blackhawks a 3-0 lead.

In the bottom of the inning, a two out error came around to score on a single to make it 3-1. The bottom of the fourth proved costly for the Blackhawks. The Cobras sent nine hitters to the plate, pushing across six runs on four hits and an error. The six run inning made the score 7-3. Then, in the bottom of the fifth  inning the Cobras added another run, pushing their lead to 8-3

In the top of the sixth inning the Blackhawks struck struck for two. Dariel Torres and Braeden Brown scored Marco Melgoza and Chase Wood, cutting the deficit to 8-5. The Blackhawks gave up another run in the bottom of the sixth after back to back walks led to one run on no hits and no errors in the inning making the score 9-5.

The Blackhawks made a push for the lead in the top of the seventh inning. They sent nine hitters up to the plate, recording four hits in the inning. The inning got rolling with nobody on and two outs when Marco Melgoza hit a single, followed by three more singles from Chase Wood, Dariel Torres and Braeden Brown. Then with two outs and the bases loaded, Luis Vargas grounded out to third base to end the threat.

The Game was called after the 8th inning due to darkness on the field. The Blackhawks fell 9-8. Pedro Garcia was the losing pitcher in the game.  

Game 3: The third game of the weekend was played on Saturday morning. Tanner Foster took the mound for the Blackhawks. Tanner made quick work of the Lakers in the top of the first. Tanner hit the first batter of the game, but then struck out the next two and picked off the baserunner on second to end the threat.

The Blackhawks offense threatened in the first inning when Austin Hardie reached on an error by the centerfielder, followed by a walk to Chase Wood. That would be all the offense could muster after a strikeout and double play ended the threat.

Foster gave up a run in the top of the second inning after a leadoff single advanced to third on a throwing error and scored on a sacrifice fly making the score 1-0 Lakers. Again in the third inning the Lakers were able to push across another run on a walk and one hit in the inning pushing their lead to 2-0.

That is all the Lakers would need in the game as the Blackhawk offense went stagnant. The offense mustered three hits in the game and were only able to get four runners into scoring position all game.

Despite throwing a 5.1 innings allowing four hits and striking out six, Foster got the loss for the game.

Game 4: The fourth and what proved to be last game of the weekend for the Blackhawks was against the Southwest Illinois College Blue Storm. The Blackhawks were the home team for the contest

Jared Skubic took the mound for the Blackhawks. Skubic allowed two runs on three hits in his first inning of work.

In the bottom of the 1st inning, the Blackhawks struck for three. Tyson Abbott, making his first career start as a Blackhawk, got the offense going with a one out single. After a flyout, Luis Vargas hit a groundball to the shortstop who made an error and allowed Abbott to get to third base. A wild pitch allowed Abbott to score, making the game 1-0. Oswaldo Calderon singled in Vargas and Austin Martin singled in Calderon making it 3-2 Blackhawks.

The Blue Storm then took the lead in the top of the second inning when they struck for another three hits and two runs overtaking the Blackhawks 4-3.

The Blackhawks were not going to go down without a fight. In the bottom of the third inning, the Blackhawks tied the score at four a piece when Luis Vargas scored on two out Marco Melgoza single.

The game continued its back and forth momentum shifts when the Blue Storm took the lead once again in the top of the fourth inning. Sam Powell allowed back to back hits to lead off the inning but limited the damage, only allowing one run on the two hits. The score was now 5-4 in favor of the Blue Storm.

The Blackhawks had one more rally left in them. Braeden Brown reached first base on a error. He was pushed to second base after Chase Wood got hit by the pitch. A wild pitch moved both baserunners up to second and third. Tyson Abbott hit a groundball to the shortstop, scoring one and Luis Vargas singled home Chase Wood to give the Blackhawks the 6-5 lead.

The Blue Storm came roaring back one more time. In the top of the seventh inning. Trace Hoffman, working his second inning, allowed the leadoff baserunner to get on. He struck out the second batter of the inning, then allowed the third batter of the inning to single. A pinch hitter hit a long flyball that was tracked down by rightfielder Luis Vargas for the second out of the inning. He walked the next batter he saw to load the bases. With a 3-2 count and two outs, Hoffman induced a game ending groundball to Zeb Adreon and earned his 5th save of the season.

Winning pitcher of the game was Sam Powell with Hoffman earning the save.